Monday, March 28, 2011

Changing Our Paradigms

According to my favorite web site, dictionary.com, a paradigm is, "an example serving as a model or a pattern". Our world is filled with many types of paradigms: social, cultural, and most importantly, personal, and these paradigms become the framework and filters through which we experience the world. Our personal paradigms form the foundations for our belief systems and whether we realize it or not we live our lives according to the paradigms we've created or subscribed to.

For example, many of us have subscribed to the paradigm of what is means to work: to make a living by contributing to society through organized effort based on preconceived structures and business models. We "go to work" for someone - a business, an organization, an existing entity, from which we receive money - a form of reciprocal energy - for the giving of our time and talents, and we use this money to pay for the expenses our lives incur. This paradigm supports our capitalistic western society and has been the foundation for the concept of employment for hundreds of years.

So? You say. What's the big deal? What's wrong with that? There is nothing wrong with anything - but I do find myself wondering why I have subscribed to the western paradigm of work. What about creating a business for myself and receiving money from it? Do I need to work for someone else? Is subscribing to this belief serving me? Did it, perhaps, serve me at one time but is no longer helpful? And am I limiting my potential by continuing to believe this paradigm? In March of 2009, I penned a blog entry about writing a Business Plan for My Life in which I dove into the topic of work and living out your passion.  

As a lifelong learner and seeker of my own interpretation of truth I often seek to challenge the paradigms I'm currently experiencing, whether they are mine or others. Why? Because I can. In my willingness to resist the status quo and seek out my own answers and meaning behind the pre-existing structures and beliefs in my world, I exercise my ability to explore options and "buck" the traditional system - and to experience being truly present. To be willing to challenge what I "know" in lieu of potentially discovering something new about myself - in short, to keep learning.

As Leonardo da Vinci expressed it: "Everything connects to everything else." If my belief systems are, indeed, connected to my experience, then paying attention to the results of my experience will allow me to decide whether changes in my beliefs are necessary. According to the Teachings of Abraham, "a belief is only a thought you keep thinking." If a belief no longer serves you, choose a new thought - create a new belief. You can read more about this from Esther and Jerry Hicks, authors of the Law of Attraction.

So what does this mean? It means that I have the power to choose and change my paradigms. Our power of choice is the greatest gift we can utilize in our entire lifetime. Challenging our paradigms is just one example of taking control of our lives and allowing ourselves to play larger - to step further into our potential. If you are not happy with the results your life is showing you, choose again! Connect with your mind, body and spirit; align your thoughts, feelings and intuition; and activate your power of choice and begin to truly bring more balance to your life. It's your choice.

Happy Spring!

The Ambassador

2 comments:

Nonna said...

Abraham-Hicks...good stuff! My brother introduced me to it a while back. It confirmed most everything I had come to believe (through studies on buddhism and other spiritual movements) and then it expanded my understanding of the spirit and Source. Yep, good stuff for sure.
Peace,
Julia

Toby said...

The teachings of Abraham are good, and Esther is often referred to as the secret behind The Secret. Though it was sad to hear that Jerry had passed away just a few months ago.

As for Paradigms, I think this reminds me of Gregg Braden, as his work has often been described as the research into paradigm shattering stuff. Great spiritual scientist.

Thanks for posting. Toby, Law of Attraction Books