Monday, January 11, 2010

Goals or Intentions - What's the Difference?

At the beginning of each new year I always take time to sit down and list my goals for the upcoming year. These goals usually include a mix of career, personal, and family items - and they all contain an "amount" of some sort along with a time frame within which I want to accomplish the goal. For example, one of my goals for 2010 is to eliminate my personal inventory by 50% (reduce, reuse, recycle) by June 1st. This goal will help me follow my own advice and get organized, and by setting this goal with a specific date suddenly makes it measurable. You can do this, too! It's a great way to know what to focus on for the upcoming year.

Now, goal setting was the perfect activity for my mind, but once I had completed my "10 Goals for 2010", my spirit wanted to follow that action by creating intentions. What's the difference? I'm glad you asked. While my favorite web site, Dictionary.com, defines a goal as, "The purpose toward which an endeavor is directed; an objective," intention is defined as, "the end or object intended; purpose." The mind creates an objective; the spirit creates a purpose. Similar, yet unique in their own ways. For example, one of my intentions for 2010 is that I will create more deep and meaningful relationships with others - old friends and new ones. I then added more detail to my intention by describing the types of relationships I want to create and what the result will be from those relationships, but not so much in chronological time (like my goals), but in spiritual time (when they manifest). Plus, at the end of each intention I add, "...this or something better," reminding me that my intentions are adding to the creative momentum that my life takes which could very well lead me to even better things! So it goes.

Another important aspect of setting intentions is to make them for yourself. Whereas goals may include the cooperation and support of others to reach, intentions are "intended" to be for your own growth and development - they cause a change internally. By paying attention to your inner self you make the important personal investment in your own growth and development. Let others be free to create for themselves!

So why did I find it so important to perform both goal and intention-setting activities this year? Because I am practicing the art of the balance factor - engaging my mind, body and my spirit - allowing me to access my deepest truths and assist me in making the best (and highest) possible choices. It's a wonderful growing experience and I always learn more by trying new things!

This week, try setting goals and intentions for yourself in 2010 and make this year a time of transformation, resolution and creative manifestation. Why not? It all begins with you.

Be Well,

The Ambassador

No comments: